Balblair Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 57° 50’ 25” N   04° 10’ 53” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NH706855
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1749
Records exist of distilleries on the site
1790
Established by John Ross of the Clan Ross. The location of the original Distillery is uncertain, but some of the present buildings may date back from the 18th century
c.1872
Built on this site by Andrew Ross & Son (still present 2004)
1887
Still there
1896-1910
Alex Cowan & Co.
1915-47
Distillery closed and not revived until 1947
1947
Taken over by R. Cumming & Son, Banff
1949
In production
1970
Purchased from Cummings by Hiram Walker & Sons (Scotland) Ltd., subsidiary of Hiram Walker-Gooderham & Worts (Scotland) Ltd., Canada
....
Extended from two to three stills
....
Sold to Allied Distillers Ltd.
1996
Closed an sold to Inver House Distillers Ltd. by Allied Distillers Ltd.
1997-May
Production started again



Sources used