Dalwhinnie Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation dal’winnie Pronunciation
Translation Meeting Place
Region Highlands
Distiller James Buchanan & Co. Ltd.
Owner United Distillers & Vintners (UDV) (Diageo plc)
Address Dalwhinnie
Inverness-shire
PH19 1AB
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1540 - 67 22 19
+44 (0)1540 - 67 22 28 (Fax)
LatLong 56° 56’ 22.7” N   04° 14’ 20.1” W
Altitude 352 m
Grid Reference NN638853
Website www.discovering-distilleries.com
www.malts.com
E-mail jackie.robertson@diageo.com
Open to public January - Easter : mo - fr 11:00 - 14:00 (tours at 11:15, 12:15 and 13.15)
Easter - May : mo - fr 09:30 - 17:00
June : mo - sa 09:30 - 17:00
July - August : mo - sa 09:30 - 17:00, su 12:30 - 16:00
September : mo - sa 09:30 - 17:00
October : mo - sa 11:00 - 16:00
November - December : mo - fr 11:00 - 14:00 (tours at 11:15, 12:15 and 13:15)
Closed between Christmas and New Year
Last Tour : 1 hour before closing time
Children under the age of 8 years old are welcome but are not permitted on the distillery tour
Admission chargedSource : Discovering Distilleries 2008 leaflet
Remarks
The distillery is Station 0582 of the Meteorological Office, and a daily reading of the temperatures and prevailing weather conditions, is taken by a team of volunteers

History
1897-98
Built by the Strathspey Distillery Co. Ltd. for £10,000, and named Strathspey Distillery. Subscribers are John Grant, a solicitor and sheriff clerk depute for Inverness-shire, Alex Mackenzie, who designed the distillery, was an architect and burgh surveyor, George Sellar, a grocer and draper, and others. The site was chosen for its water supply from Lochan-Doire-Uaine and peat from the surrounding moors
1898-Feb
Production starts. There were financial problems after a few months
1898-Nov
John Somerville & Co. and A.P. Blyth & Sons take over. The name is changed to Dalwhinnie. Charles Doig is called in to make some improvements
c.1900
Sold to the Dalwhinnie Distillery Co., owned by A.P. Blyth, managing director of a distillery company in Leith. He changed the name to Dalwhinnie, and called in a celebrated distillery architect of the time, Charles Doig of Elgin, to improve the building and plant
1905-Feb
A.P. Blyth & Son owned Dalwhinnie Distillery Co. assets were purchased at auction for £1,250 by Cook & Bernheimer, New York and Baltimore, and assigned by them to their subsidiary James Munro & Son Ltd. This is the first time a Scottish distillery is taken over by a foreign company that led to fears of a US takeover of the industry, but other Scotch whisky traders saw it as the first opportunity to promote sales in the North American market. The new owners proudly flew the Stars and Stripes above their warehouses in Leith where they blended "Scotch whiskies to suit the American palate"
1920
Following the decision in 1919 to introduce prohibition in the US, the distillery was sold to Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd. of Leith, headed by Sir James Calder, who maintained the company name (1919 mentioned as well)
1926
Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd. of Leith is acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), which licensed it to James Buchanan & Co.
....
Transferred to J. & G. Stewart Ltd.
1930
Transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD)
early 1930s
The village of Dalwhinnie was still untouched by many of the conveniences of the 20th Century. There was no telephone and no electricity, the distillery was lit by parafin lamps and equipment was powered by steam engines
1934-Feb
Badly damaged by fire and closed
1938
Reopened. Two stills. Licensed to James Buchanan & Co. Ltd.
WWII
The distillery shuts down as a result of Government restrictions to conserve barley for food supplies
1961
Stills became steamheated
1968
Floor maltings ceased production
1979
The malt barns are converted to warehousing, and the private railway siding is closed by British Rail. A new stretch of the A9, built in the 1970’s, bypassed the village and the distillery
1986
Distillery is completely refurbished
1988-1989
United Distillers (UD) chose Dalwhinnie as a part of the Classic Malt Series and the Single Malt comes available more widely
1991
A visitor centre is built
1992
The distillery closes for a £3.2 million refurbishment. The visitor centre opens, the distillery is licensed to James Buchanan & Co.
1995-Mar
The distillery opens again

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production and cooling from the distillery burn named Allt an T’sluic, 6km away, and piped to the distillery. The water flows underground from Lochan an Doire-Uaine ("Loch of the green thicket")
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
25% for single malt, rest for blending (Black & White and others of the firm)
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 6 made of Larch
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 1
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
1
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers wormtubs
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks bourbon
  Warehouses
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used