Glen Albyn Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 57° 29’ 00” N   04° 14’ 48” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NH654459
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1846
Established by James Sutherland, the provost of Inverness, using a site of an abandoned brewery
1847-52
Provost James Sutherland of Inverness licensee
1849
Main buildings were destroyed by fire and rebuilding started immediately
1855
James Sutherland went bankrupt
c.1866
Turned into a flour-mill after a period of disuse
....
Distillery was not in use for about 20 years
1884
Acquired by A.M. Gregory (also Grigor & Co.), a grain merchant, who built an entirely new distillery with the same name. A railway with a connection to the main line was built as well
1891-93
Glenalbyn Distillery Co.
c.1895
Incorporated as Glen Albyn Distillery Co. Ltd.
WWI
In use as a US Naval Base for the manufacture of mines
1920
Purchased by Mackinlays & Birnie Ltd., owners of nearby Glen Mhor Distillery, and connected with the Leith blenders Charles Mackinlay & Co.
1972
Mackinlays & Birnie Ltd. acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) to which they were licensed. Two stills and saladin maltings
1983
Closed. Later demolished and the site sold for a shopping complex



Sources used