Glen Grant Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation glen ’grant Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands / Speyside
Distiller Chivas Brothers Ltd.
Owner Chivas Brothers Ltd. (Pernod Ricard)
Address Elgin Road
Rothes
Morayshire
AB38 7BS
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1340 - 83 21 18
+44 (0)1340 - 83 21 04 (Fax)
LatLong 57° 31’ 49.1” N   03° 12’ 37.1” W
Altitude 78 m
Grid Reference NJ276495
Website www.maltwhiskydistilleries.com
E-mail glengrant.admin@chivas.com
Open to public 21st March - 28th October : mo - sa 10:00 - 16:00, su 12:30 - 16:00
Admission freeSource : Scotland’s Malt Whisky Trail 2005 leaflet
Remarks
Only distillery named after its owners

History
< 1833
John Grant worked on his fathers farm and established a grain merchant’s business. He and his younger brother James had been engaged in illicit distilling
c.1833
John and James Grant went into partnership with the owners of Aberlour Distillery
1839
The brothers Grant leased some land from the Earl of Seafield and built the first Glen Grant Distillery
1840-60s
James Grant, lawyer in Elgin, went into partnership with his brother John to establish Glen Grant Distillery, continued until 1860s
1860s
Company became J. & J. Grant
1864
John or James died
1872
John or James died and the distillery passed on to James Grant’s son, also named James and known as "The Major". He extended the distillery, built a mansion for himself nearby, and created a romantic woodland garden in the glen behind. The house has been demolished
1894
Glen Grant No.2 Distillery has been built across the road to meet the demand of whisky
1898
After the collapse of Pattison’s, the large Edinburgh firm of brokers and blenders and a major client of the distillery, production of Glen Grant No.2 Distillery ceased. It reopened in 1965 as Caperdonich Distillery
c.1900
Glen Grant is one of the first to be widely available as a single malt throughout Scotland
1931
James Grant died and ownership of the distillery passed on to Major Douglas Mackessack, his grandson
1932
Incorporated as J. & J. Grant, Glen Grant Ltd.
WWII
The distillery closed
1953
Merged with George & J.G. Smith of the Glenlivet to form The Glenlivet & Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd.
1970
The Glenlivet & Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd. merged with Longmorn-Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd. and Hill, Thomson & Co. Ltd., blenders of Queen Anne whisky, to form The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. (1972 mentioned as well)
1973
Extended from four to six stills
1977
The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. purchased by Seagram Company Ltd. (1978 mentioned as well)
1977
Extended from six to ten stills. Four old stills coal-fired, with the last water-wheel-driven rummager in the industry. Six new stills gas-fired
1995
The woodland garden has been restored. The stills became steamheated
1999
Owned by Chivas Brothers
2000
Seagram’s was bought by Pernod Ricard
2004
Owned by Chivas Brothers

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production from the Caperdonich Well, for cooling from the River Spey
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 10 made of Oregon Pine
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 4
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
4
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers condensers
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks 5yo matures in refill-bourbon, the rest in sherry
  Warehouses
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used