Glen Mhor Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation glen ’vor
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 57° 28’ 53” N   04° 14’ 48” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NH654457
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1892
Built by John Birnie and James Mackinlay of Charles Mackinlay & Co., blenders from Leith, under the firm of Mackinlay & Birnie
< 1894
John Birnie, manager of Glen Albyn Distillery, bought a site opposite his own distillery and built a new distillery designed by Charles Doig of Elgin. He also formed a partnership with Charles Mackinlay & Co. of Leith to gain a significant shareholding in his own distillery
1894
Distillery completed and in production
1906
Incorporated as Mackinlays & Birnie Ltd., the pricipal shareholder being Charles Mackinlay, a large shareholding (40%) being taken at that time by John Walker & Co.
1920
Mackinlay & Birnie bought Glen Albyn Distillery and modernized both the Distilleries extensively
1972
Acquired by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and operated by Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) which held the license, in conjunction with Glen Albyn. Two stills and Saladin maltings
1983
Closed, demolished and site sold for shopping complex



Sources used