Glenglassaugh Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation glen’glassoch Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands / Speyside
Distiller
Owner The Edrington Group
Address Portsoy
Banffshire
AB45 2SQ
Scotland
Telephone
LatLong 57° 40’ 51” N   02° 44’ 10” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NJ562659
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1873-75
Founded by the Glenglassaugh Distillery Co. (a partner in that firm being Thomas Wilson, a distillery coppersmith, as his father had been) on land known as "Craig’s Mills", after the three mills situated there. Two were watermills, which powered the distillery well into the 20th century, and one windmill, one of the few in Scotland, which was the entrance
1892
Acquired by the Highland Distilleries Co. Ltd.
1907-31
Silent
1931-32
Operated
1933-36
Operated
1936-59
Closed
1959-60
Completely refurbished by Highland Distillers Co. Ltd.. Two stills. A very advanced design for its time
1986
The distillery was mothballed
1999
Owned by Highland Distillers
2004
Owned by The Edrington Group



Sources used