Glenkinchie Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation glen’kinchie Pronunciation
Translation
Region Lowlands
Distiller John Haig & Co. Ltd.
Owner United Distillers & Vintners (UDV) (Diageo plc)
Address Pencaitland
Tranent
East Lothian
EH34 5ET
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1875 - 34 20 04
+44 (0)1875 - 34 20 07 (Fax)
LatLong 55° 53’ 24.8” N   02° 53’ 34.4” W
Altitude 116 m
Grid Reference NT442667
Website www.discovering-distilleries.com
www.malts.com
E-mail
Open to public January - March : mo - fr 12:00 - 16:00
Easter - October : mo - sa 10:00 - 17:00, su 12:00 - 17:00
November : mo - su 12:00 - 16:00
December : mo - fr 12:00 - 16:00
Closed last week December and first week January
Last admission 1 hour before closing time
Admission chargedSource : Discovering Distilleries 2008 leaflet
Remarks

History
1837
Established by the Rate brothers, John and George, who had been originally farmers and grew and malted their own barley on the premises
1840
Said to have been worked by James Gray of Leechman & Gray
1851
Operating
1852
John Rate is licensee
1853
The Rate brothers went bankrupt, and the distillery was used mainly as a cowshed. A part was sold to a farmer Christie and converted into a sawmill
1880-81
The distillery was bought by the Glen Kinchie Distillery Co., a consortium of whisky merchants and blenders from Leith and Edinburgh and production was started again after rebuilding the distillery and maltings
1890
The Glen Kinchie Distillery Co. was founded with Major James Gray as General Manager. Reconstruction and refurbishment is going on for the next few years
1890-1914
Limited company
1914
Became a founding member of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD), established to consolidate the resources and interest of malt distillers in the Lowlands. Two stills. Licensed to John Haig & Co. Ltd.
1925
Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) is bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), and Glenkinchie is licensed to join John Haig & Co.
1939-45
One of the few distilleries allowed to maintain a small production during WWII
1968
Floor maltings stopped being used
1969
The old floor maltings is converted into a museum
1972
Stills became steamheated
1988-89
Malt becomes available as a single malt as part of United Distillers’s Classic Malt range
1996
Opening of new visitor centre

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production from natural bassin in Lammermuir Hills named Gifford and fed with rainwater from the hills, for cooling from the Kinchie Burn (in the old days also the productionwater)
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
Haig, Johnnie Walker Red and Black Label, Dimple
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 6 in total, 4 made of Oregon Pine and 2 made of Canadian Larch
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 1, 30,963 litres
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
1
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers wormtubs
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks mainly refill, amontillado sherry for finishing the Distillers Edition
  Warehouses
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used