Glenlochy Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 56° 49’ 22” N   05° 05’ 37” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NN113744
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1898
Established by David McAndie of Nairn a mile outside Fort William on the bank of the River Nevis and besides Ben Nevis, which afforded a good supply of water used to power the Distillery. The West Highland Railway was close by. The year the business started the whisky boom of the 1890s turned into recession, so the Distillery worked at a fraction of its capacity, even going out of production several seasons. Also the Glenlochy-Fort William Distillery Co. Ltd. is named as the builder of the distillery
1919-24
Silent
1920
The shareholders sold out to a group of English breweries, but the production remained patchy
1926-37
Silent
1934
Distillery purchased by Thomas Leslie Rankin, motor hirer
1937
Joseph Hobbs bought the distillery in association with Train & McIntyre, a firm of blenders from Glasgow, and funded by National Distillers of America (NDA)
1938
Production resumed and the distillery was transferred to Associated Scottish Distillers (ASD), a subsidiary of Train & MacIntyre Ltd.
1940
Joseph Hobbs sold his interest in Associated Scottish Distillers (ASD) and retired
1953
Train & MacIntyre Ltd. acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) from its American owner, National Distillers of America, and Glenlochy was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD). Two stills
1960s
Glenlochy has been re-equipped by Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD)
1970s
Glenlochy has been renovated by Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD)
1983
Distillery closed due to recession
1991
Site sold for development



Sources used