Glenrothes Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation glen’rothus Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands / Speyside
Distiller The Edrington Group Ltd.
Owner The Edrington Group Ltd.
Address Burnside Street
Rothes
Aberlour
AB38 7AA
Scotland
Telephone
LatLong 57° 31’ 37” N   03° 13’ 02” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NJ272492
Website www.glenrotheswhisky.com
E-mail info@gordonandmacphail.com
Open to public Not open to public
Remarks

History
1878
Work started by James Stuart & Co who were the leaseholders of Macallan Distillery. The same year the Caledonian Bank (or the City of Glasgow Bank??) closed its doors. Three partners, Robert Dick, Rothes agent for the bank, William Grant from the Elgin branch, and John Cruickshank, who was an Elgin Solicitor, formed ’William Grant & Co’ and continued with construction of the Distillery.
1879-May
The Distillery opened its doors.
1879-Dec-28
Start of operation
1887
The owning company, William Grant & Co., merged with the Islay Distillery Co. (owners of Bunnahabhain Distillery) to form the Highland Distilleries Ltd.. James Booth Henderson, a renowned judge of livestock, became brewer. He used the distillery as a stable to his horses and cattle, to the displeasure of his employees.
1887-Dec
John Smith became manager of the distillery serving for 31 years.
1898-May-15
The distillery doubled its capacity to 300,000 gallons.
1922-May-15
No.1 warehouse was destroyed by fire along with 200,000 gallons (2,500 casks) of maturing whisky. Each cask exploded the whisky poured into the Burn of Rothes, which runs through the village. A hearsay story recalls how the villagers, armed with all sorts of receptacles, scooped up the whisky from the river for consumption later and, in some instances, there on the spot. An old angler retold a wonderful story of how the trout that evening were easily reeled in being docile from the Glenrothes ’spirit’.
1962
Parts of the distillery were destroyed.
1963
Enlarged from four to six stills
1980
Extended from six to ten stills and the still house became haunted shortly after finishing. This was solved by the late Professor Cedric Wilson, a psychic investigator, who laid the spirit to rest
1999
Owned by Highland Distillers
2004
Owned by The Edrington Group

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production from the Ardcanny Spring, piped to the distillery, for cooling from the Dounie Burn
  Annual Output 1,600,000 litres of alcohol (May 2000)
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
95% for blending (heart of Cutty Sark)
Malt Malt Source Tamdhu Distillery Maltings
  Malt Type Optic, Chariot
  Malt Specification (phenols) lightly peated
  Own Malting Floor no
  Malt Storage 15 x 30 tonnes, 8 x 32 tonnes and 6 x 40 tonnes
Mill Porteus
  Grist Storage 2 hoppers holding 4.92 tonnes
Mashing Mash Tun 2 in total, 1 stainless steel, semi-lauter with rakes and 1 old Porteus with a copper dome only in use in case of emergency
  Mash Size 4.92 tonnes
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 18 in total, 10 Oregon Pine and 8 stainless steel with a capacity of 25,500 litres each
  Washback Charge
  Yeast distillers
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 5 onion shaped, 12,900 litres, steamheated with kettles
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
5 onion shaped, 15,000 litres, steamheated with kettles
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers condensers
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks bourbon, sherry, refill
  Warehouses 16 in total, 4 racked and 12 dunnage
  Vatting and Bottling Location

Staff

Distillery Manager
John Smith (December 1887 for 31 years)

Sources used