Lochnagar Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation royal lochna’gaar Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller John Begg Ltd., Glasgow
Owner United Distillers & Vintners (UDV) (Diageo plc)
Address Crathie
Ballater
Aberdeenshire
AB35 5TB
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1339 - 74 27 00
+44 (0)1339 - 74 27 02 (Fax)
LatLong 57° 01’ 46” N   03° 12’ 33” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NO267938
Website www.discovering-distilleries.com
www.malts.com
E-mail
Open to public January - March : mo - fr 10:00 - 16:00 (tours at 11:00, 12:30, 14:00 and 15:00)
April - September : mo - sa 10:00 - 17:00, su 12:00 - 16:00
October : mo - fr 10:00 - 17:00, sa 10:00 - 16:00, su 12:00 - 16:00
November - December : mo - fr 10:00 - 16:00 (tours at 11:00, 12:30, 14:00 and 15:00)
Closed between Christmas and New Year
Last admission 1 hour before closing time
Admission chargedSource : Discovering Distilleries 2008 leaflet
Remarks

History
1826
Founded on a site north of the River Dee by James Robertson of Crathie, former illicit distiller (1825 mentioned as well)
1826-1834
James Robertson of Crathie licensed
1833
James Robertson of Crathie is probably the James Robertson of ’Manacher’
1841
Destroyed by fire and rebuilt by Alexander Farquharson & Reid
1842
Alexander Farquharson & Reid licensees
1845
A second distillery south of the River Dee was built by Begg & Buyers on a site leased by the Abergeldie Estates
1848
John Begg invited Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who bought nearby Balmoral Castle in 1845, to visit the distillery south of the River Dee. The very next day he was honoured with the royal visit. Some days later Begg received a letter granting a royal warrant to supply the Royal Family
1851
The distillery south of the River Dee was referred to as ’New Lochnagar’
1851
The partnership of Begg & Buyers was dissolved and the distillery continued by John Begg
1852
Farquharson & Co.
by 1860
The original Lochnagar had closed
1880
John Begg’s distillery was inherited by his son Henry Farquharson Begg
1896
Passed to Henry Farquharson Begg’s trust
1902
Converted to a private limited company
1906
Distillery rebuilt
1916
Acquired by John Dewar & Sons Ltd.
1925
Passed to the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL)
1930
Transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD)
1963
Largely rebuilt
1967
Largely rebuilt. Two stills. Licensed to John Begg Ltd.
1969
Stills became steamheated
1990
The distillery farm survived and was converted to visitor centre
1992
Licensed to John Begg Ltd.
1999
Owned by United Distillers & Vintners Ltd. (UDV)
2004
Owned by Diageo plc

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production from the mountain Lochnagar which is collected in Loch Muick and piped to the distillery, for cooling from an artificial lake behind the distillery
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
in the past 100% blend (John Begg), nowadays also for single malt
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun 1, open
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 3 made of Larch
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 1
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
1
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers wormtubs
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks bourbon, sherry, refill
  Warehouses
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used