Malt Mill Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Islay
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 55° 38’ 07” N   06° 07’ 35” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NR404457
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1908
Built by Mackie & Co. (Distillers) Ltd. after they lost the agency for Laphroaig in 1907, to produce real traditional Islay whisky within the Lagavulin complex. The distillery had its own maltings, with haitcloth-floored kiln heated by open ’chauffeurs’ fired only with peat. The Lagavulin mash tun was used, but there were two independent wash backs, still in position, and two pear-shaped stills
c.1960
Closed about 1960
1962
Incorporated with Lagavulin. The maltings has been converted to trade reception centre by White Horse Distillers, the licensees for Lagavulin (see Lagavulin)



Sources used