Oban Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation ’oban Pronunciation
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller John Hopkins & Co. Ltd
Owner United Distillers & Vintners (UDV) (Diageo plc)
Address Stafford Street
Oban
Argyll
PA34 5NH
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1631 - 57 20 04
+44 (0)1631 - 57 20 11 (Fax)
LatLong 56° 24’ 53.7” N   05° 28’ 19.8” W
Altitude 10 m
Grid Reference NM859302
Website www.discovering-distilleries.com
www.malts.com
E-mail
Open to public January : closed
February : mo - fr 12:30 - 16:00
March - Easter : mo - fr 10:00 - 17:00
Easter - June : mo - sa 09:30 - 17:00
July - September : mo - fr 09:30 - 19:30, sa 09:30 - 17:00, su 12:00 - 17:00
October : mo - sa 09:30 - 17:00
November : mo - fr 10:00 - 17:00
December : mo - fr 12:30 - 16:00
Last admission 1 hour 15 mins before closing time
Admission charged
Children under 8 years are not admitted in the production areaSource : Oban Distillery 2008 leaflet
Remarks

History
1794
Said to have been founded by Hugh, John & James Stevenson & Co. hiring an experienced Lowland distiller to manage the whole operation
1797-98
Hugh, John & James Stevenson & Co.
1818
Revived
1824-29
Thomas Stevenson when bankrupt
1829-52
John Stevenson
1860-77
Robert Walker
1866
Change of ownership from the Stevenson family to ...
1878-83
William Gillies, when purchased by James Walter Higgin and rebuilt
1883
Acquired by J. Walter Higgin
< 1887
Two new warehouses were built
1890-1894
The distillery was rebuilt. The number of tuns was increased from 5 to 8
1898
Acquired by the Oban & Aultmore-Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd. from Higgin
1923
Oban & Aultmore-Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd. sold the distillery to the Oban Distillery Co. Ltd., subsidiary of John Dewar & Sons Ltd.
1925
Passed to the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL)
1930
Transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD)
1931-37
Distillery went silent
1969-72
Distillery went silent when a new still house was built with two stills in it
1972
Stills became steamheated
1989
Visitor centre opened in old maltings
1990
Selected for promotion as a Classic Malt
1992
Licensed to John Hopkins & Co. Ltd.
1999
Owned by United Distillers & Vintners (UDV)
2004
Owned by Diageo plc

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
for production from Loch Gleann a' Bhearraidh and piped to the distillery, for cooling from Loch Gleann a' Bhearraidh in a circular system
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
mainly for blending (Bell's), single malt
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor no
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 4 made of European Larch, with a capacity of 36,000 litres and charged with 30,000 litres
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation 96 hours
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 1, 18,880 litres, steamheated
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range 25%
  Spirit Stills
1, 8,296 litres, steamheated
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers wormtubs
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut 68% - 63%
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength 63.5%
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks only refill (also Montilla Fino sherry)
  Warehouses
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used