Port Ellen Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Islay
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 55° 38’ 01” N   06° 11’ 58” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NR358458
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks
First distillery to use bonded warehouses

History
1824-25
Established by Alexander Ker Mackay, with the support of Walter Frederick Campbell, Laird of Islay, on the site of a mill
....
Went soon bankrupt and distillery went over to John Ramsay "Port Ellen
1920
The wife & son of John Ramsay sold their interest in the distillery to the Port Ellen Distillery Co. Ltd. after his death
1925
Acquired by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and closed down
1967
Reopened, modernized extensively and licensed to Low Robertson & Co. of Edinburgh
1973
Port Ellen Maltings are being built
1983
Distillery closed
1987
Agreement signed with all the Islay distillery owners to buy malt from the Maltings to preserve local employment
2003
One of the pagodas demolished (the large and youngest one)



Sources used