Tobermory Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation tober’more-ee
Translation
Region Highlands
Distiller Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd.
Owner Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd. (CL World Brands Ltd.)
Address Tobermory
Isle of Mull
Argyll
PA75 6NR
Scotland
Telephone +44 (0)1688 - 30 26 45
+44 (0)1688 - 30 26 43 (Fax)
LatLong 56° 37’ 16” N   06° 04’ 13” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NM504551
Website www.burnstewartdistillers.com/tobermorydistillery.htm
www.tobermory.co.uk/distillery/tobermory_whisky.htm
E-mail enquiries@burnstewartdistillers.com
Open to public January - Easter : by appointment only
Easter - September : Visitor Centre opened
October - December : by appointment only
Remarks

History
1795
Said to have been started by John Sinclair who took a lease on a piece of land beside the Ledaig Burn near the harbour of Tobermory of the British Fisheries Society. In its first year the distillery produced 292 proof gallons (1,327 litres) of whisky
1823-Oct-25
A feu charter dated 25 October 1823 covering the main area of land was granted by the British Society for Extending the Fisheries and improving the sea coasts of the kingdom in favour of John Sinclair Esq. of Lochaline in the parish of Morven
1827-30
Sinclair & McLachlan
1833-37
John Sinclair
1863
Distillery closed after the death of John Sinclair
1878
Re-established
1881
W. Campbell & Co.
1887
Mackill Brothers went bankrupt
1890-1916
Acquired by John Hopkins & Son & Co. which resumed production
1916
John Hopkins & Co. was taken over by the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), who continued to operate under the same name
1930-Jun
Distillery closed
1972
Revived as Ledaig Distillery (Tobermory) Ltd. by a consortium epresenting some Liverpool shippers and the Domecq sherry group from Spain. The distillery was extensively reconstructed and all stills became steamheated. The annual output became 800,000 proof gallons (over 3.6 million litres) which was too much in those difficult years
1975
In receivership
1978
Acquired by the Kirkleavington Property Co. of Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, who have assigned it to Tobermory Distillers Ltd.
1981
Distillery closed
1990
Distllery reopened
1993
Bought by Burn Stewart Distillers for £600,000 plus £200,000 for stock. Four stills
1999
Owned by Burn Stewart Distillers plc
2004
Owned by Burn Stewart Distillers plc

Technical Specifications
General Water Source
From a lake 4km from the distillery (also used as drinkingwater by the people of the village) used for production and cooling
  Annual Output
  Finished Spirit (phenols)
  Blending Roles
10% bottled as a single malt, 50% to customers for blending, 40% in own blends (Scottish Leader, Black Prince)
Malt Malt Source
  Malt Type
  Malt Specification (phenols)
  Own Malting Floor
  Malt Storage
Mill
  Grist Storage
Mashing Mash Tun
  Mash Size
  First Water
  Second Water
  Third Water
  Fourth Water
Fermentation Washbacks 4 made of Douglasspar
  Washback Charge
  Yeast
  Amount of Yeast
  Length of Fermentation
  Initial Fermentation Temp.
  Strength of Wash
Distillation Wash Stills 2 (1 for Tobermory, 1 for Ledaig)
  Wash Still Built
  Wash Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Wash Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Low Wines Run
  Low Wines Collection Range
  Spirit Stills
2 (1 for Tobermory, 1 for Ledaig)
  Spirit Still Built
  Spirit Still Charge
  Strength of Spirit Still Charge
  Heat Source steamheated
  Spirit Still Height
  Lyne Arm
  Coolers condensers
  Foreshot Run
  Spirit Run
  Feints Run
  Spirit Cut
  Distilling Strength
Storage Storage Strength
  Average Spirit Yield
  Disposal of Pot Ale/Spent Lees
  Type of Casks bourbon, sherry, refill (both the malts)
  Warehouses no own warehouses anymore. The one that was there
  Vatting and Bottling Location



Sources used