Yoker Distillery

Back to previous page
General
Pronunciation
Translation
Region Lowlands
Distiller
Owner
Address
Telephone
LatLong 55° 53’ 21” N   04° 23’ 02” W
Altitude
Grid Reference NS510688
Website
E-mail
Open to public
Remarks

History
1770
Said to have been founded 1770 or earlier
1795-1810
John Harvie
1813-31
John Harvey & Co.
1831-34
John & William Harvey & Co.
1837
John & James Harvey
1845-jun-01
The first patent still installed here was a Stein still licensed 9 June 1845, but this was probably for malt production, as described 1887. It was erected by John & James Harvey
1847
John & James Harvey dissolved and re-formed as John & William Harvey & Co.
by 1887
Two Coffey stills had been added for grain production
1898
Distillery sold to Harvey’s Yoker Distillery Ltd. after Alexander Dempster of Penmaenmawr had failed to complete the purchase of the distillery from Barnett Harvey’s trustees
1906
This company wound up and the assets transferred to the Yoker Distillery Ltd., promoted by a consortium of West of Scotland men
1913
Consortium of West of Scotland men sold the Yoker Distillery Ltd. to a group of Edinburgh distillers and blenders led by Alexander Edward
1918
Acquired by a combine consisting of the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), John Dewar & Son Ltd. and James Buchanan & Co.
1925
Passed under the control of the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL)
1927-28
Listed as silent and not reopened. The warehouses continued in use
1941
Warehouses badly damaged during the Clydebank blitz
1972
Whisky warehousing ceased
1980
Transferred to Scottish Grain Distillers Ltd. (SGD)



Sources used